The hospital building, recently restored, dates from 1888, being among the first edifices rebuilt after the proclamation of the Kingdom. Unfortunately, the very same year the City Hall decided the demolition of what might have been today the emblem of the city, the Coltea Tower. The tower had sheltered the church’s bell and served as a fire watchtower, since it was the tallest building in Bucharest. In the 18th and 19th century, the romantic, Gothic style Coltea Tower, was the pride of the city, much admired by travellers visiting Bucharest. Despite many protests from the city’s inhabitants, the Mayor of the time decided on the demolition of the tower which, already dilapidated after repeated earthquakes, was preventing the widening of the boulevard that was going to be the North-South axis of the city.
HOW TO GET THERE
Address no 1 Ion C. Brătianu Boulevard
Metro University Square on the blue line
Bus University Square stop for 61, 66, 69, 70, 85, 90, 91, 336, 601, 381, 783
Night buses N102, N108
The fine statue of the founder Mihai Cantacuzino, the oldest monument of this kind in Bucharest (1869, sculptor Karl Storck), stands next to his church. It is worth noting that Mihai Cantacuzino is also the founder of the renowned Sinaia Monastery.