The Sutu Palace is one of the oldest aristocratic buildings in Bucharest and one of the very few edifices that remained unchanged in its 150 years of existence. It was erected between 1833 – 1835 by Cistache Sutu after the design of Conrad Schwink and Johann Veit.
The interior of the palace was projected in 1862 by Karl Storkc, reknown sculptor and decoration artist. The upstairs makes itself noticed through the access stairs, monumentally split in 2 arms, the perspective upon which was open by setting up in front of the wall facing it of a Murano mirror. Above the mirror there is the sculpted portrait of Irina Sutu, the owner’s wife.
It was a private residence up untill the 20th century. The Sutu Palace becomes the new host of the Museum of the municipality of Bucharest in 1956. Renovated between 1956 and 1958, the palace reopens to the public on january 23rd, 1959. Ever since, it hosts exhibitions around the topic of Bucharest history, setting light upon an exceptional heritage that resulted from archeological research, donations and aquisitions made from the yearly budget of the Municipality City Hall.