Collector, art critic and not lastly, a true Mecena of his times, Krikor H. Zambaccian (1889-1962) put together over the years of his entire life one of the richest and most valuable art collections across Romania – consisting of paintings, sketches, sculptures and furniture – which he donated to the Romanian state in three consequent steps in 1947, in 1957 and lastly in 1962.
The act of donation included as well the house he inhabited, built after the design if the architect G. D. Galin to serve as residence as well as a place for exhibiting the works of art. The collection was open for the art lovers one day per week starting as early as 1942, the year in which the house was completed. The edifice was extended afterwards, in 1957, with the purpose of enlarging the exhibition space.
The collection stands out as a result of the exceptional taste in art of the collector. The artifacts displayed make up a veritable history of the Romanian painting in masterpieces.